It is crucial to ensure that an application is tested properly before it hits the market. Even if an application features unique experiences and enhanced graphics, all that matters to a customer is the performance level. If the application repeatedly reports multiple performance issues, then it is obvious to go down in the market. Thus, it is important that the application is tested thoroughly for its speed, agility, security, stability, scalability, as well as accessibility under various load conditions. However, ensuring that there will be no issues post the app’s launch and optimally testing the application might lead to spending a fortune on tools, technologies, and human resources. Here is where the Cloud Performance Testing comes by.
Why Performance Testing; In a Cloud Environment is important?
While monitoring the performance of an application constantly, cloud services help in boosting productivity, saving time as well as enabling multiple users to work on the same database at any given point of time and deliver the work within stringent timelines. To enable this it is required that you have efficient Cloud Computing Service Providers to assist you.
Enterprises prefer cloud services as it is cost-effective and offers a multitude of other benefits. Additionally, the infrastructure that cloud services make available and the reduced maintenance of cloud computing applications, drive enterprises to adopt performance testing of applications in a cloud environment strategy.
When resources are readily made available in a cloud set-up, it makes cloud computing more reliable and efficient. Cloud adoption scenarios range from being private, public, or hybrid. Project environment, technology stack, business drivers, available skill sets, resources, and various approaches are all major factors to be considered while building a cloud performance testing strategy.
Broad Approaches for Cloud Performance Testing
Applications need to be thoroughly tested and are even more critical especially when it comes to web applications that require shorter turnaround times as well as faster time cycles. Quality assurance and on-time release of apps need to be ensured and the cloud computing paradigm is an effective solution for all these concerns.
Performance testing in the cloud has 2 broad approaches and they are as follows:
Cloud Infrastructure for Test Environment
The test infrastructure required by the cloud could be specific tools, bandwidth requirements, number of hardware, licenses, and so on. Unlike traditional methods of testing, testing in the cloud does not face the issue of missing tools or required hardware, etc.
An enterprise can focus on performance testing and not worry about the infrastructure. The tool made use of for testing can be open sources such as Grinder or JMeter or any other licensed software like the Silk Test Performer.
These can be set up and run on AUT (Application Under Test) and can ensure that the client machines that generate load, known as the load injectors, do not cause any problem. This approach is suitable for a waterfall model where the software is evaluated at the end of the software development cycle.
Cloud As A Test Tool
There is a wide range of testing tools available in the cloud such as the SaaS model. In this approach, the test tool is already available in the cloud and hence, there is no set up required.
The optimized system configuration lets you generate the required load without any issues. A few examples are LoadStorm, BrowserMob, nGrinder, etc. This approach is best suited in an agile environment, where iterations are made in the initial phase of SDLC itself.
Benefits of Performance Testing on Cloud
Stimulating heavy loads, analyzing the app performance, and ensuring cost-effectiveness are major benefits. But let us walk through the key benefits of cloud performance testing:
- Cost-Effectiveness – Testing in the cloud eliminates the need for onsite testing which significantly reduces costs for buying testing tools and maintaining client and server infrastructures.
- Diagnostic Detailing – Cloud service models offer detailed diagnostics as part of the testing package. A detailed map which includes insights that help to find and resolve where the problems are.
- Ability to Simulate Peak Loads at any Time – Notifying your cloud service provider will prompt the orchestration of a performance test at any time. This helps in allocating resources whenever required.
- Ability to Test Multiple Scenarios – Apart from testing only browser-based applications, cloud-based testing allows for evaluating alternate routes to internal systems as well, such as accessing mobile app phones.
- Help in Preparing for Global Readiness – Cloud-based testing helps applications to be built for the international market. Businesses can explore markets globally and gain worldwide sales capability.
Different Types of Cloud Performance Tests
The following are the various types of performance tests that can be performed on the cloud:
- Stress Test over Cloud: A test to validate an application’s reliability, stableness, and responsiveness under high loads.
- Load & Performance test over Cloud: Test to ensure that the application performs optimally even when used by multiple users at the same time.
- Browser Performance testing over Cloud: It tests the compatibility of a browser with the complete system.
- Latency Testing on Cloud: Tests the time is taken to transfer data messages between two points within the cloud network.
- Targeting Infrastructure test on Cloud: Tests the ability of each component or layer of the application.
- Failover test on Cloud: Tests the application’s ability to call for additional resources when it encounters high traffic.
- Capacity test on Cloud: Test the maximum amount of traffic that can be handled by the system.
- Soak test on Cloud: Tests the performance of the app by exposing it to high traffic.
In case the cloud performance testing is outsourced to an external cloud service provider, carefully ensure their security, reliability, quality, and bandwidth. There are certain aspects that shouldn’t be compromised while selecting a Cloud Computing Solution Provider. When it comes to performance testing, it varies with varying user demands and other factors. Thus, it should be tested according to defined test strategies and also on real-time to ensure continuous improvement over the period of time. Ensure you rely on a company that provides end-to-end performance testing solution to launch future-proof applications that are reliable, responsive, and scalable.
A combination of the right set of tools, expert QA testers, a readily available cloud platform, and a carefully initiated strategy can bring about the same benefits of a conventional testing method at lower costs.